No going back on nationwide protest, NLC insists

The Nigerian Labour Congress, NLC, has said that there was no going back on Wednesday, planned nationwide protests against recent harsh policies of the Federal Government.

NLC president, Mr. Joe Ajaero, who reacted to rumours that the protest had been called off, urged Nigerian workers to discountenance reports, insisting the protest holds as planned.

He said: “We have no reasons to call off the planned protest.

“If we suspend or call it off, you will know. I can tell you that the mobilization is very high,” he added.

On its meeting with the Federal Government, Ajaero in a statement, said: “We want to inform all Nigerians that we have just risen from a meeting with the Federal Government where we sought to get them listen to the demands of the people and workers of Nigeria.

Meeting with FG didn’t change protest date

“The outcome of this meeting earlier Tuesday has however, not changed anything or the course which we have set for ourselves Wednesday as custodians of the interests and desires of Nigerian workers and people.

READ ALSO:APC’s Tinubu has no plans for domestic crude refining –PDP

“Nigerians are advised to ignore the work of fifth columnists who are working hard against the wishes of the people.

NLC President, Mr. Joe Ajero

“We urge everyone to gather in our respective states and wherever we may be across the nation to give vent to this collective resolve. Once again, the Nationwide Mass Protest will start Wednesday.”

He restated Organised Labour’s demands to include, “Immediate implementation in good faith of the resolutions with NLC jointly with government and TUC, immediate reversal of all anti-poor policies of government including the recent hike in PMS price, school fees and VAT.

“Fix our local refineries in Port Harcourt, Warri and Kaduna, release of eight months withheld salaries of university lecturers and workers, accord appropriate recognition and support to the Presidential Steering Committee and the work of its sub committees to put a stop to inhuman actions and policies of government.”

READ ALSO:Punuka Attorneys touches lives, opens childcare centre in Lagos

Frontiernewsng gathered that government’s representatives at Tuesday meeting with labour only presented a copy of President Bola Tinubu Monday nationwide address.

This angered labour representatives, who walked out on the meeting, though they reiterated their openness to the talk.

It was also gathered that government representatives pleaded on labour to have a re-think and give government more time.

Labour not going on strike, but just protest

But a labour expert, who spoke to frontiernewsng said neither NLC nor Trade Union Congress, TUC, was going on strike, since an Industrial Court had barred labour from strike.

But the expert said labour’s resort to protest was to ensure that people don’t start taking laws into their hands as experience in Adamawa State, where hoodlums broke into government grain reserves and also looted private warehouses and pockets of protest in some states.

The expert, said it was better to give Nigerians hope by allowing them protest, rather than allow a state of hopelessness to prevail, which would force Nigerians to resort to violence.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

%d bloggers like this: